A Letter to My Children's Teachers



To the teachers and staff of Still Elementary, who have loved my family so well:

I want to thank you.  I really want to more than thank you.  I want to hold a banquet in your honor.   I want to do something spectacular.  But, all I have for you are these words, a hug, and some flowers from my son tomorrow as he walks the halls of Still…..one last time.

We started our journey at Still Elementary in 2008, when my daughter began 1st grade.  Sadly, it will end tomorrow when my son finishes 5th grade.  The past 7 years of teaching, learning, creating, and growing are something to celebrate indeed.  The investment of your time and talents into the hearts and minds of my children is definitely praiseworthy.  But, for me and my family, you have done so much more.  You have loved us and held us through some hard days.  You have cared for us far beyond the duty of any educator.  You have prayed for us in our darkest hours, and during the days that followed.  You have been steadfast in your love for my children.  Your loving hearts ached alongside ours.   And, a simple thank you seems inadequate.

The day after they lost their father, my children's teachers and guidance counselor were at my house.  AT MY HOUSE.  What a comfort to them in such an uncertain time.  I am sure it was uncharted territory for you, but you were perfect.  You walked it with us.  I couldn't have asked for more.  When they returned to school, I knew they were in a safe place because you loved them.  You supported them.  And, you watched out for them.  I trusted you with my fragile little babies.  And you came through for me in a big way.  Huge.  There are no words to adequately express my appreciation.

As the next year began, you didn't just move on, and go about business as usual.  You didn't forget.  You knew it was still fresh.  You continued to watch out for them.  You helped them receive special counseling.  You came to their games!  There were the occasions you took them into the hallway for an extra hug or to talk about their dad on a hard day.  Or, at times, when they were there physically, but not mentally you took steps to bring them back in.  You listened to them.  You let them visit you and share memories, or a hug, or whatever they needed.  For me, you were an email or a phone call away.  Sometimes after a hard night of missing him, you reassured me.  You emailed me to say that she was smiling, or that he was happy and all was well.  It was just what I needed.  I guess you knew, because you didn't just care about them, you cared about me too.  It's extraordinary.

As a mother, I worried.  All mothers worry.  It's natural.  My fears though, were that this profound loss would derail their academics.  That their grief, and our new life with me working outside the home at such a hard time for in their lives, would interfere with their success.  But, you were determined.  You created a place so safe, and so warm, that they succeeded despite it all.  They got good grades, and grew artistically, musically, and athletically.  You had my back.  Again, I am grateful.

I am sad to be leaving Still Elementary, for all the usual reasons.  My babies are growing up too fast like everyone else's.   I won't have elementary aged children anymore, and I will have two middle schoolers!   But, truthfully, I am sad because I will miss you and the way you loved my children.  

Thank you.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0