Running

In May I wrote this......

"I wish I was a runner, but I am not a runner. First of all, it is hot here. And second of all, I don't like to run, at all....not for long distances. I wish I did....it is cheap and accessible, but I am not self motivated enough to be a runner. This I know."

But, I guess that isn't true after all. Because, I have been running. Not a lot. Not fast. And, I am not great at it. But I am running. I may never run a marathon, and I am fairly certain that I don't aspire to, but I can run. Just a little. Enough.


Sometimes, there is something childlike about running. Joyful even. When my bunions aren't killing me, anyway. If there is a breeze, and it isn't a zillion degrees, a good song is on, and I have just passed a patch of honeysuckle, I want to close my eyes and turn in circles and sing....I don't, but I feel like at some point while I am running most days. As a mother, what I think I like best about running is that for however long I am running no one is talking to me, or calling "Mooooooommmmm", or asking me where they left their socks or hair brush. That is peaceful. And who can't use a little more peace in their daily life. But, what I really like best about running is that it is FREE, it requires no gear (aside from shoes), and you can do it anywhere!

I said I wasn't self motivated enough to be a runner, and in many ways I am not....but I am working on that, because running is in your head. A lot of it anyway. You just have to get out there and be like the little engine..."I think I can, I think I can". If you are new at it....run early, or run late....then less of your neighbors will see you. And really, they don't care, or they are proud of you (or think you're crazy, or maybe a little of both). Mine have been VERY encouraging (like slowing their cars and cheering for me encouraging). I like that.

I have recently decided to run a 5K. This is TRULY something I NEVER thought I could do, or would do. And, I was okay with that. I have to say, I am not in it to win it, but just to get through it. I would like to run the whole thing (as in not walk). We will see. I am taking it one day at a time. Running when I can, walking when I can't. At the very least, I am learning not to underestimate myself. And that, is huge.




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0