Affirmations and Inspiration Along the Journey

Mark Twain said, "You can live for two months on a good compliment". I think he is right. When someone says something to you that is positive, and meaningful, and touches your heart, no matter what else comes your way, that little speck of praise will carry you far, and may even add a little spring to your step.

When I started this journey (boot camp), I said I wasn't doing it to lost weight. In fact, when I filled out my form for boot camp I said that I wanted to get stronger. And I did, and I have. So, I lost 20 lbs. along the way, and I will take that, gladly. In fact, I would like to lose 10 more, well really 12, if I am being honest. :) That being said I have not lost a pound since the end of June, and I am okay with that too.

Despite weight loss and muscle tone gain, what has really awed and amazed me has been my interactions with people, and their "take" on the "new me". I have been encircled by positive people in the form of coaches and friends, my children and parents, and even some acquaintances. I have been amazed by the outpouring of praise and encouragement. And mostly, the power of their words.


  • A friend told me that I was looking "willowy"......WILLOWY. Wow, that made my day. I remember being willowy....in my 20's. To be described as willowy again is just awesome.

  • My friend's husband said to me...."saw you running the other day, I am proud of you, keep it up." Proud of me -- it just is so great to hear!

  • The coach at my new fitness center said...."Beth was born to boot camp".

  • The other coach said to me....."I can tell you love to work out". (Good actress, I am.)

  • And just the other day while I was talking to another instructor about running, and my lack of natural propensity for it, he said ...."You could run a 5K today if you wanted to. I watched you work out in there, and I have no doubt you could do it".

  • But most importantly and dearest to my heart, is that my children think of me as being strong. And, they are proud of me. My son will tell random people, "my mom is really strong, she does boot camp" and then wants me to make my muscles for them. He also thinks I have mad basketball skills.

Affirmation is an amazing thing and maybe that is because I am not the most self-motivated person around. But praise, compliments....I don't know.....it keeps me going. It makes me want to work harder and more (even if I don't lost those last 10 lbs). It makes me feel good, and alive, and happy and so so so proud of myself. It also makes me realized how important it is to affirm and praise the people in my life who are making good choices, who are out there living their lives to the fullest, and who are making a difference. Because, they too can live to two months off a good compliment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0