Creative Play

I have always had theories about my children and how they play. I wanted them to be creative, and to imagine. To pretend. I wanted to raise them in a way that would give them the longest childhood possible because let's face it, childhood is short. That sounds simple enough, but it is harder than you think. From a young age, our kids are consumers, and everything caters to them, from toothpaste to band-aids and clothes. And it seems like everything is trying to make them grow up faster. Movies, music, tv shows. I really just wanted my kids to be kids, not consumers. And so, I sheltered them in many ways; we stayed home a lot, and we played and danced, painted, squished play-doh, made forts, and went for walks where we smelled the flowers. My friends will tell you, there we many days I was ready to bang my head against the wall, but these years that I have been at home when the kids were at home, have been a precious joy and I am thankful they have had to opportunities to play freely and unstructured. They are blessed far more than they know.

When they were small, we consciously avoided "noisy toys". Not because they are totally annoying (even though they are), but because we wanted the kids to make their own noises for the farm animals, cars, and so on. We found this easier with girl's toys than with boy's toys. Even the good old Fisher-Price stand bys all make noise now. I found this somewhat disappointing.

The Christmas before my daughter's third birthday she got a dollhouse. It too "talked" in a way. Actually, it gave prompts, which I found helpful sometimes. More often than not, though, we played with the prompts off. When the dollhouse was new I had to sort of teach my daughter how to play pretend with it. It is a skill she mastered with gusto! She is one of the best "bretenders" I know, even to this day. For a long time, I enjoyed my son's nap time while my daughter and I played dollhouse. And then one day, the ponies joined the party. And then some mermaids, and then, I have to admit, I didn't really understand how to play anymore. I consider myself creative, but the mermaids and ponies and people at a dance party, well I loved it but it was too far outside my box! Ever since then, my daughter has played with all her toys, all together (kind of like those people who mix all their food together). Today in the playroom we have Zoobles, Squinkies, Fisher Price dollhouse people, Barbie fairies, mermaids and princesses (and princes), living in harmony next door to the Care Bear Castle, some Littlest Pet Shops, and a menagerie of Puppies, Ponies and other various "in my Pocket" animals. To me, it is an overwhelming mess. To her, it is joy beyond compare. And I am glad. It makes my heart happy to hear her in there singing, and playing and imaging and pretending.

Recently, there has been a change. She wants to play alone. She wants to play without being peeked at, or watched, or listened too. Sometimes she says, "I need you to leave so I can play". My daughter is growing up. In fact, at 9, that she still plays with many of these toys is to me a victory. I am grateful for every day that she sets up her creative, messy worlds of wonder and joy. And while the mess nearly drives me out of my head from time to time, I know in a year, or more, or less, she won't do it anymore. The thought of that almost takes my breath away.

Yesterday, she got a new tiara to wear with my old prom dresses. So, I do think she has some "bretending" left in her. I hope the start of 4th grade, the pressures to be "cool" and not like things that are "babyish" don't get to her anytime soon.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0