A New Chapter

Photo of a Poster in the hallway at my school


August 13, 2012

Well, to say that I am in a "season of change" in my life would be what seems like a major understatement.  In a life that seems to be on a long and winding path to who knows where, I started yet another chapter today.  After 10 year break, I stepped back into the front of  a classroom today.  I have to say, that even after all these years, it felt somewhat routine.  And for that I am thankful. 

There are some things about this job I want to write about.  Coincidences some may call them.  Luck.  I don't know.  Karma.  Maybe I'd call it grace, or a blessing.  To me, I see a hand in it that isn't mine.  Here is why......

Three years ago, the school where I am working lost everything in a flood.   The building was under 10 feet of water, the children evacuated to safely as water lapped at their feet.  Oddly enough, I remember being riveted by their story.  I recall watching local news casts about the loss of their band instruments, school supplies, and personal items.  They basically lost EVERYTHING; in a community that already faced more adversity than many. At the end of the day, the building was a total loss, and the children shuffled to other schools.  I found it heartbreaking.  From 2009 until now, they have faced difficulties but always held on to the promise of a better day.  Their principal, my boss, believes you can let loss define you or make you hang your head in defeat; or that you can keep your head held high, look for the miracles, and the sun behind the clouds.  What an inspiring message.




After Michael died, and things settled down (as much as things can "settle down" in a situation such as mine) it was apparent that my first order of business was to try to find a job.  I am an art teacher. An art teacher in an era of cut backs, budget deficits, and hiring freezes.  I had tried the previous three years to get a job, and never even got an interview.  I was worried.  In fact, worried doesn't even really explain it.  If I didn't get a job I was faced with uprooting my children from the only home they ever known (and that they shared with their father), packing up, leaving an AMAZING network of support, and living with my parents (who I love dearly, but I am not 16 anymore).  So, it was really much more worried.  Basically, I was feeling like EVERYTHING in my life was hinging upon this one thing.

At this point everything was still so fresh.  Decision making, especially life altering decisions, seemed like just way to much to ask of me.  And so I prayed.  I prayed that I would get the right job in the right place and that I would only get one job in one place.  I applied in Ohio near my parents home where there was a job, and I applied in the areas around my home (where no jobs were posted).  The true desire of my heart was to have a job by the start of summer so that I could relax.  If I could have ordered up the perfect scenario it would have been.....one job offer, at the place where He wants me, as close to the start of summer, please. 

And, long story short that is what happened. 

I didn't get an interview for the job in the district in Ohio where I had ties, and connections, and had taught before.  And I did get an interview here.  At 9:30 in the morning, when I was taking a nap (yes a nap, I wasn't sleeping well yet), the phone rang asking me to come for an interview at 1:30 that afternoon for a job at the new Clarkdale.  The school built on higher ground.  "Today, yes, sure, I will be there".  And then I sprang up from the couch and into action.....printing my resume, updating my portfolio, realizing I have no dress pants small enough (I know, problems, right, but really it was one).  I found someone to watch the kids, then off to the store...which had no blazers, jackets, or even formal looking sweaters....but I found something, and apparently it was good enough along with some pants that fit.  I picked up the kids, dressed myself, shuffled the kids to a second neighbor, and off to the interview.  What a morning!

The interview itself was very special in retrospect.  The principal was warm, inviting, kind, and calm (despite the fact they were packing and boxes were everywhere and we had to meet in a spare room). And I remember feeling calm (no wonder after my morning).  She told me a lot about the school, and she knew I was a widow.  We compared notes on how the community reached out to me when I lost everything, and how they reached out to the school in the same manner.  We discussed how there are still so many good people in this world and how a tragedy can reinstill your faith in that.  We talked about our thoughts on art education and how it can impact a school and community.  And by the end, we shared stories that gave us goose bumps and made us teary eyed.  Then I went home, and I took a nap (yes, another nap).  At 3:30 pm (the same day) the phone rang.  It was the county office....offering me the job.  And I said yes.  It was the first week of June.

One job offer, where He wanted me, close to the start of summer please. 

Karma, luck, coincidence.  I don't think so.  I feel like I was hand picked to work at this school, with these people, who have lived through loss, and persevered. This school, that is a place of hope and healing.  A place that lost so much, was loved by so many, and is living in the sunshine that was once obscured by gray skies.  I feel like the school is just like me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0