Widow




Widow.  Who wants to be a widow?  Nobody.  Not even a 90 year old wants to be a widow.  At the beginning of this journey, I remember hating the word.  I remember promising myself it would not define me at 41.  But, I hated it nonetheless.  The pity, the sad glances, and awkward pauses, it all makes a bad situation worse.  And widowhood, more than widowerhood seems to be riddled with judgement and stereotypes and expectations.

In those early days of widowhood, it was like a new name.  I tried it out a few times.  It was always awkward, or shocking to the other party.  You're what?  No one expects someone "my age" to be a widow.  But, I was.  I remember crying before I started my new job thinking how everyone there would only know the widow me, the broken version of the formerly awesome me.  The widow version.  It was hard to think I would be meeting a whole new group of people who would only know me, and never know Michael.  They would only know me apart for him.  It was horrifying to me.  I hated it.  And looking back, I don't know how I did it that year.

As time pressed on, I realized that most people presumed I was divorced, unless I told them otherwise.  And that was terrible to me, so I have ended up, awkwardly as times, telling people I am a widow, lest they think I'm divorced (no offense to my divorced friends out there, it's just I wasn't and didn't like people presuming it). I still don't, and so I still do.  Hopefully, 4 and a half years have made it less awkward than when it was raw.

Once, I confused my nail technician.  It was my first time at a small, fancy salon (I had a Groupon).   I was telling her how my husband didn't like the nail color I was choosing because it was pale and so was I.  Then my phone started to ring and it was my boyfriend, and I said, "I've got to take this it's my boyfriend and he is babysitting my kids".  She looked at me with huge eyes and said - "girl, you talk too much".  And then I had to explain.  I like to avoid that.

Another time, my  new boyfriend (who was a good friends with my husband) and I went to a party.  It was our first "public event", and there were several people there that I hadn't seen since the funeral.  I felt like I blew their minds, and not in a good way.  I felt terrible all night.  I like to avoid that too.

But, the name, the title, the designation.........it is important.  I am a widow.  It has changed me.  It has changed my life.  It impacts most everything; my emotions, my finances, my home life, my kids, my level of exhaustion.......  When I say I don't get a break, I mean it.  I have kids 7 days a week, all my waking hours of the day, 365 days a year, unless by some miracle I can get them both a sleepover, or they both have a party on the same day.    And I love them, but it's tiring to never feel like just you.

And so, what does one do, with a title that seems like a stigma?  I try to do what I try to do with everything else.  My best.  If I find out a workout I like, I tell everyone I know, because maybe someone else will like it to and be better for it.  If I make a super awesome dinner, that was easy and good, I post it on Facebook, because, I know we are all tired and dinner can be hard.  With every lesson I teach, or child I work with.......I offer the best I have every day.  I like helping people.  I like making a difference.  I like making people's lives better.  I like making people happy.  It is what makes me happy.  And so,  the same now applies to being a widow.  It is the only way I can see to make it okay.  I can use this name, and all that has come with it, to help others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

How to Treat a Widow

New Normal 2.0